Skip to main content

yo-yo

I have this unfortunate flaw of being used like a yo-yo. Whether it is family or friend, it a pattern I desperately want to end. I am not a bad friend. At least I do not think so anyway. But I get into this cycle of only being needed or wanted at the convenience of others and I am getting tired of it. I don't know how to end this cycle and this is my dilemma.

I am not a mean person by nature. I never have been. Bitterness over the years has changed that some. I am far more outspoken than I used to be when I was younger. A little less naive, a little wiser but I still have a good heart. I am not one to turn my back on others, most of the time. I do have a breaking point but it seems to take awhile to get me there. I learned that after a very long, bad marriage.

I don't turn my back on others because I know what it feels like. It hurts a lot. So I feel I should not do this to others. Yet at the same time, I'm not anyone's doormat. It just does not work like that.

My other problem is confrontation. I am just not a fan. Don't get me wrong; I have zero problem telling you exactly how I feel and where you can go. I'll even help you get there. That doesn't mean I enjoy it.

So how do you tell someone you care for that you are tired of their shit without hurting their feelings?

I guess that is the million dollar question. In the mean time, what does one do in this situation? Other than ignore it and pretend like it doesn't happen...because obviously that is working out great, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a real love story

I am going to tell you a story. It is a story of love, surrender and peace. There is a hero in the end. But there usually is, right? Right. Four years ago, I met this guy through a friend. I wasn't looking for love at all. Just a companion, a friend, someone to share with. After 13 years in hell, who really wants to look for love again? Not this girl. So this guy, he was pretty nice. A gentleman. You don't come across too many these days. We became friends, talking every day, having lunch and what not. As the days passed, I found myself falling in love. I was scared. Neither of us wanted to get married again and we certainly weren't looking for anything long term. But as the saying goes, the heart wants what the heart wants. Sometimes, God has better plans for us. I remember the day I told him I was in love with him. It is still fresh in my mind. It was night time and we were standing on the front porch having a cigarette. I debated on whether I should tell him or not. ...

something dependable

Some days it's just not enough to say I love you. I love my friends and family. I try hard to be good to those I love and cherish because its what God asks me to do. I've always tried my best to be a good friend but some days, I think I suck at it. Some days it's hard. It takes alot out of me to be there for someone else when I'm struggling just as much as they are but most days, no one ever knows it. They don't know what it does to me, knowing my 13 year marriage failed. They don't know what it's like raising two kids alone, especially when one is a teenager. They don't know what it's like to struggle to raise a family on a single income, not knowing where the next meal might come from. No one knows the inner turmoil I battle on a daily basis and that the only one I have to turn to...is myself. And God. I smile on the inside but there are days I wanna cry for hours but I can't. I like being the one people depend on, but who do I have to depend o...

difference

I received an email tonight, asking me if what I was going through over these last 7 months was worth it. And without any hesitation, I said Yes. I wouldn't change a thing. So he asked me why? Why, as a woman, would I put myself in this kind of situation that leaves you alone, vulnerable, powerless at times, overwhelmed and most nights, in tears. And my answer was this: Have you ever stopped dead in your tracks and looked around you to see where your life was headed? Was this the path you'd chosen? Or was is dictated to you? Was it "safe" so you went along with it, not knowing what would happen, but as long as you were "comfortable", that's all that mattered? Whatever happen to having expectations? Aspirations? Achievements? A real life. Leaving behind a legacy that people will one day and look back on and say "yes, she did great things with her life...he family and friends would be proud"? How many people truly view our existence in this ...