Skip to main content

really?

Pronunciation: \ˈha-pē-nəs\
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
1 obsolete : good fortune : prosperity2 a : a state of well-being and contentment : joy b : a pleasurable or satisfying experience

That's Webster's definition of happiness. Most everyone in life wants it, most people attain it and others live it. For the better part of life, I've only experienced the first two. Not saying I've never been happy, but it's been more of "happy moments" and not true genuine life-long happiness. This past month...nothing but.

This amazing man came into my life and turned my world upside down. Literally.

When I got divorced, I was open to the idea of dating but certainly had no intentions of "settling down". I'd been in a relationship for a better part of 13 years and wanted to experience "single life". So when I met this guy, my first thoughts were, "I can see myself dating him". I had no idea it would turn into so much more.

Matt is real. Not in just the human sense but real as in being yourself, being true to yourself. He was totally upfront and honest from the get-go and I appreciated that. The first night we met, we discussion exactly what we wanted and what we were looking for but neither of us had any idea it would turn into more. Funny how life works. The more I learned about his life, the more intrigued I was to become apart of it.

Hero. Devoted father. Best friend. Companion. Real. Respect. Caring. Compassionate. Patient. Intellectual. These words come to mind when I think about him. In the short time that I've known him, he's taught me about myself and about those around me. He lives his life how he wants, he cares nothing about what other think of him and he has no problem speaking his mind. We connect mentally and emotionally and that's a big deal to me. We discuss politics, religion and we respect each others beliefs, even if we don't agree.

He has a past...just like me. That's probably what's changed me most. He does not let his past control or dictate his life. I've allowed that to happen in my life and it's made me an angry and bitter person. Discussing his past life...it puts everything in perspective. We've both come a long way and have a lot to be proud of. We've both made huge accomplishments and great strides.

Who knows what this relationship will bring but I'm open to whatever happens. I've thanked God every single day for putting this man in my life. Is it really possible to be this happy?

I certainly hope so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a real love story

I am going to tell you a story. It is a story of love, surrender and peace. There is a hero in the end. But there usually is, right? Right. Four years ago, I met this guy through a friend. I wasn't looking for love at all. Just a companion, a friend, someone to share with. After 13 years in hell, who really wants to look for love again? Not this girl. So this guy, he was pretty nice. A gentleman. You don't come across too many these days. We became friends, talking every day, having lunch and what not. As the days passed, I found myself falling in love. I was scared. Neither of us wanted to get married again and we certainly weren't looking for anything long term. But as the saying goes, the heart wants what the heart wants. Sometimes, God has better plans for us. I remember the day I told him I was in love with him. It is still fresh in my mind. It was night time and we were standing on the front porch having a cigarette. I debated on whether I should tell him or not. ...

something dependable

Some days it's just not enough to say I love you. I love my friends and family. I try hard to be good to those I love and cherish because its what God asks me to do. I've always tried my best to be a good friend but some days, I think I suck at it. Some days it's hard. It takes alot out of me to be there for someone else when I'm struggling just as much as they are but most days, no one ever knows it. They don't know what it does to me, knowing my 13 year marriage failed. They don't know what it's like raising two kids alone, especially when one is a teenager. They don't know what it's like to struggle to raise a family on a single income, not knowing where the next meal might come from. No one knows the inner turmoil I battle on a daily basis and that the only one I have to turn to...is myself. And God. I smile on the inside but there are days I wanna cry for hours but I can't. I like being the one people depend on, but who do I have to depend o...

difference

I received an email tonight, asking me if what I was going through over these last 7 months was worth it. And without any hesitation, I said Yes. I wouldn't change a thing. So he asked me why? Why, as a woman, would I put myself in this kind of situation that leaves you alone, vulnerable, powerless at times, overwhelmed and most nights, in tears. And my answer was this: Have you ever stopped dead in your tracks and looked around you to see where your life was headed? Was this the path you'd chosen? Or was is dictated to you? Was it "safe" so you went along with it, not knowing what would happen, but as long as you were "comfortable", that's all that mattered? Whatever happen to having expectations? Aspirations? Achievements? A real life. Leaving behind a legacy that people will one day and look back on and say "yes, she did great things with her life...he family and friends would be proud"? How many people truly view our existence in this ...