Skip to main content

My friend, Kym

I met Kym a few years ago through a writing group I had joined. She had just moved here from Texas. The first time we met, we had lunch at Burger King. Later, we were reintroduced through a job I had taken with the Montgomery Advertiser. Since then, we've become pretty close.

Whether she knows it or not, Kym is a huge inspiration and role model. She has become one of my closest friends and also my biggest encourager; next to my husband, of course. Her strength and encouragement has made me strive to be a better, healthier woman.

I gained a lot of weight in my previous marriage and I've always had some excuse or another why I didn't need to lose it. I've watch Kym over the last few years and I've seen the obstacles she's overcome. She has made tremendous strides in her life and I look to that for my own strength at times. Seeing her push past everything that has tried to stand in her way only encourages me to push myself harder and harder to become the woman I want to be for myself, for my husband but most importantly, my kids. I want and need to set a better example for them. Healthy living is important for everyone but when I look at my daughter and see how overweight she is, it really hurts my heart and I feel I only have one person to blame for that. Me. I allowed that to happen. And I did not set a good example for her either.

I've talked with Kym on several occasions about how her daily routine and meal planning goes with her daughter, J. I must say, I was very impressed and only wanted that same thing for my daughter. It's been difficult at times but each day, we try something new and go forward. I'm working on getting her more active and bringing healthier foods into our home. I'm hoping that in time, this will become a lifestyle for our entire family.

Kym is also a writer and a phenomenal one at that. I've followed her work since she's moved here and a few times, I've been the subject of her work. It's always an honor and privilege when she asks me for help. She's proofed some of my own work for school papers and an article written for my wedding. More often than not, some of her work has moved me to tears. She has a way with her words and her outreach within our community is uplifting. She really has a passion for what she does.

Through her writing career and her day to day fitness journeys, I can only strive to be half the woman and mother she is but she's been a big part of why I've been on my own fitness journey. Her encouragement and advice will get me right where I need to be.

Beyond her career and lifestyle, she's been an incredible friend. She's helped me through my divorce, my remarriage and my husband's deployment. Her texts and emails always bring joy to my heart. Our occasional lunches are always filled with our day to day stories of our lives. What I enjoy most are her stories of J. That is a fantastic child. She will become an extraordinary woman one day-just like her mother.

Kym-from the bottom of my heart, thank you. For being my friend, for being someone I can look up to and confide in. I couldn't be more blessed to have someone like you in my life. I love you. :)

Comments

  1. Oh, wow. Thank you, Shannon, for being such a good friend -- this has brought tears to my eyes. I really do love and appreciate having you in my life -- & your children and your husband are better for having you in theirs. God bless you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more!

    Kym has been such an encourager to me, whom she doesn't even really know, for such a long time. She never makes me feel like a second-class citizen because I am "just" a walker, which I appreciate more than words can express.

    I have had several opportunities to just say to heck with it -- I'm just an old granny who is not an athlete, so who am I fooling? - but knowing that Kym actually PAYS ATTENTION to my posts about my wog-abouts has gotten me in my shoes and out the door more times than I can count.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Kym's one in a million. I know several people who feel the same way about her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

changes are coming

Four years ago, Trevor and Savanna came to live with us, to start a new life. One that we’d hoped would be fruitful and blessed. Our lives changed in every aspect over that four year period. We all grew in different ways. Some for the best and some, not so much. But overall, it was for the betterment of both of them and we saw great improvements over those four years. Last year, one simple mistake changed everything. July of last year during summer football camp, Trevor got caught with a pocket knife. He didn’t think anything of it because he always carries it, just like any other young man in Alabama. He didn’t think about it being a school function and honestly, who would? He had no intentions of harming anyone at all. Mind you, Trevor had come so very far in four years. He was making straight A’s, taking Honors classes, playing football and well on his way to making huge changes for his future. We could not have been more proud. The Autauga County School Board decided they need

life will go on...eventually

     I genuinely believed after having this major surgery, my quality of life would greatly improve. Don’t get me wrong-the surgery did relieve me of my headaches and for that, I am truly grateful. But it seems to have brought on another set of problems that I wasn’t prepared for. It has been frustrating, discouraging and most of all, very painful. My numerous doctors seem to believe that the surgery exacerbated a problem I began having before the surgery-arthritis in my hands. Now, it’s throughout my entire body and some days, it is hard to get out of bed, much less walk. It takes more strength than I knew I had. Pain meds and arthritis meds don’t seem to help much and some days are far worse than other. But I keep going, regardless because I have to. I pray daily for healing but I find myself asking why…why after going through such a traumatic event in my life, believing I was going to move onto something better, does this have to happen now? What am I supposed to be learning for th

tears

I'm an emotional kinda gal. I wear my heart on my sleeve. As tough as I try to be, I have more compassion than you could possibly imagine. I guess that's one of the many reasons I've wanted to become a nurse. So here it is, not even noon and I've probably cried or teared up at least 3-4 times. Why? I was listening to my iPod on the way home from picking up my kids from camp and a song came on that immediately sent my thoughts to Matt. I thought back to the first night we met and like a cheshire cat, my whole face lit up. My heart swelled until I thought it would burst in my chest, I got the warm fuzzies and then I started to cry. Not just tear up but CRY. Yeah. I'm a cry baby. It's the feeling that moves you to the most beautiful tears. Knowing that someone loves you more than themselves. That's hard to find. He can walk in a room and my whole world will stand still. That look he gives me ...butterflies, have mercy. When he wraps his arms around me, I