Skip to main content

His Legacy


In the summer of 1997, I showed up on his doorstep with a three-month-old baby on my hip. After explaining that this was his grandson, he welcomed us both into his home and our lives forever changed.

From that moment, the sun rose and set on his grandson and he could do no wrong in his eyes. As my son grew, it became obvious that he felt the same. Where you saw Andrew, you saw Nathaniel. Andrew was so proud of his sweet boy. He took Nathaniel with him everywhere. To the cow fields, where they would feed the cows together; to church where he grew to love his “Preacherman”, and even on the tractor. McDonald’s was always his favorite trip; he couldn’t live without his chicken nuggets. They were two peas in a pod, as their grandma used to say. That never changed.

Andrew always made me feel apart of the family, even when I felt like an outsider. One of the conditions to coming to live with him was that I went back to high school and graduated. He made sure he had a front row seat the day I graduated, and I knew how proud he was. He would always stress to me how important education was and then it would follow with one of his long-winded lectures we always hated. I am going to miss those talks now…
He didn’t breathe unless he was talking about God. He was so proud when I got baptized and later joined my church choir. I remember when I was home practicing a song for choir; as I was playing the music, he would sing along with me. He’s the only person I could sing in front of without feeling shy or bashful. There wasn’t a Sunday he wasn’t in church, on the front row, with his grandbaby sitting right beside him, dressed in his Sunday best. After church, it was off to McDonald’s for his baby’s chicken nuggets.

His talks-boy, did he love to talk. He always had a lesson in one of his talks. He was passionate when he spoke. He talked about growing up, working in the fields with his family or he’d sometimes talk about Vietnam or his travels to Germany. He always had an adventure to talk about.

He taught my son to be a man. Nathaniel watched every single thing his grandfather ever did. On Sunday mornings, he would be right by his side, getting ready for church. He’d brush his teeth and comb his hair and he’d stand by his granddaddy in the bathroom while he was shaving, closely watching everything he did. He’d come out of the bathroom so proud, wearing Andrew’s Polo cologne, smile beaming from ear to ear. He watched him so much, that I’ll never forget the time he’d gone into his granddad’s bathroom, put Vaseline all over his hair and face and then took his trimming scissors and cut his hair! What a mess!

“Train a child up in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6. Andrew taught me that verse and it was probably one of the first that I memorized. I didn’t get to tell Andrew how much I loved him and how grateful I was for everything he did for me and for my son. He changed both of our lives for the better.
Andrew would give the shirt off his back for anyone. He never met a stranger. He’d help anyone who asked. He saw past color and creed and saw people’s hearts. He found the best in people and tried to bring out their potential and he didn’t speak to you without speaking about God. He was hardworking and strong-willed. He never had a lazy bone in his body. If he wasn’t in the cow fields, he was outside working in the yard or doing something to the house. He rarely had idle hands, even when he was sick.

After the divorce, he still came out to the house once a week to see his grandchildren. I knew he was hurt but I think over time, he forgave me. He still helped if I needed it and he still came to talk to me. He would always bring the kids money when he came to visit and after I remarried and my step kids came to live with us, he’d even bring them money, and he’d tell me he didn’t want them to feel left out because they were still part of the family. That’s the kind of man he was. Eventually, he couldn’t make the drive anymore, so I’d take the kids to his house to see him when he was home. He didn’t miss a graduation and he loved to see his grandson play the drums. I always kept him updated on how the kids were doing, what they had going on and he would do his best to be involved. He was so proud to see the man Nathaniel had become and he’d brag about him to anyone that would listen.

I will miss his waves followed with a “howdy-do” and a smile when he’d walk in the door. I will miss his talks and his peppermints he always kept in his pocket and the smell of his Polo on Sunday mornings. I regret that I didn’t spend more time with him or that I didn’t tell him more how important he was to me. I am grateful for the love and compassion and care he gave to my children, and even my stepchildren. He left behind a legacy that I will see every time I look in my children’s eyes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

life will go on...eventually

     I genuinely believed after having this major surgery, my quality of life would greatly improve. Don’t get me wrong-the surgery did relieve me of my headaches and for that, I am truly grateful. But it seems to have brought on another set of problems that I wasn’t prepared for. It has been frustrating, discouraging and most of all, very painful. My numerous doctors seem to believe that the surgery exacerbated a problem I began having before the surgery-arthritis in my hands. Now, it’s throughout my entire body and some days, it is hard to get out of bed, much less walk. It takes more strength than I knew I had. Pain meds and arthritis meds don’t seem to help much and some days are far worse than other. But I keep going, regardless because I have to. I pray daily for healing but I find myself asking why…why after going through such a traumatic event in my life, believing I was going to move onto something better, does this have to happen now? What am I supposed to be learning for th

changes are coming

Four years ago, Trevor and Savanna came to live with us, to start a new life. One that we’d hoped would be fruitful and blessed. Our lives changed in every aspect over that four year period. We all grew in different ways. Some for the best and some, not so much. But overall, it was for the betterment of both of them and we saw great improvements over those four years. Last year, one simple mistake changed everything. July of last year during summer football camp, Trevor got caught with a pocket knife. He didn’t think anything of it because he always carries it, just like any other young man in Alabama. He didn’t think about it being a school function and honestly, who would? He had no intentions of harming anyone at all. Mind you, Trevor had come so very far in four years. He was making straight A’s, taking Honors classes, playing football and well on his way to making huge changes for his future. We could not have been more proud. The Autauga County School Board decided they need

tears

I'm an emotional kinda gal. I wear my heart on my sleeve. As tough as I try to be, I have more compassion than you could possibly imagine. I guess that's one of the many reasons I've wanted to become a nurse. So here it is, not even noon and I've probably cried or teared up at least 3-4 times. Why? I was listening to my iPod on the way home from picking up my kids from camp and a song came on that immediately sent my thoughts to Matt. I thought back to the first night we met and like a cheshire cat, my whole face lit up. My heart swelled until I thought it would burst in my chest, I got the warm fuzzies and then I started to cry. Not just tear up but CRY. Yeah. I'm a cry baby. It's the feeling that moves you to the most beautiful tears. Knowing that someone loves you more than themselves. That's hard to find. He can walk in a room and my whole world will stand still. That look he gives me ...butterflies, have mercy. When he wraps his arms around me, I