Skip to main content

whether I like it or not, this is who I am

My parents have been on my mind a lot. It happens often during the holidays. Thanksgiving is my dad's favorite holiday. This was his chance to shine in the kitchen! He would spend hours smoking the perfect turkey and making everything from scratch. There is no one is the tri-county area that could make a turkey like my dad! As I got older, the tradition was that I'd bring my dad a homemade cherry cheesecake. It was one of his favorites. I miss that more than anything. Family. That is what is most important to me during the holidays.

I was visiting with a friend this weekend and she was telling me about their tradition for Thanksgiving. She's from the Red Bay area; that is where she grew up and went to high school. She told me Thanksgiving was like a family reunion. They even sent out invitations. They had a huge gathering of brothers, sisters, cousins, you name it. This is the time they would spend laughing, sharing and reconnecting. Holidays have a way of bringing us closer together and sadly, tearing us apart....

I have spent most of my adult life denying that I was anything like my parents. The thought of being compared to them brought out the most foul mood in me. In the last few days, I have started to realize how much I am like them and how that may not be such a bad thing. Here is why:

Yesterday, I mentioned that my dad had a passion for cooking and that he passed on that love of cooking to me. I thrive best in the kitchen and that is not hard to see when you look at me. ;) My husband has told me on numerous occasions how odd it was that I can stand in my pantry doorway, grab items off the shelves and just throw something together; that I have the vision to see what can be made from anything. Several people have asked why don't I go to culinary school. Cooking is not something I want to make a career of. I love doing it but I don't want to cook 24/7. It is more of a hobby than a career path. I do know my father went to culinary school and specialized in Oriental cooking. Hence my love for Korean, Thai, Chinese and Japanese cuisine. It is what I grew up eating most of my life. (my dad is also Korean so it seemed natural for him). I am grateful to share this passion with him and that I'm able to pass on my joy of cooking to my family. Trust me when I say, they love it!

There are a lot of things I can say about my mother. The one that sticks out in my mind most is the way she took care of my dad during their marriage. She loves my dad and there was never any doubt about that. They have an amazing love story and as far back as I can remember, I have always said I wanted a marriage just like theirs. They have been married for 33 years. They've been through so much together and it has only made their relationship stronger. If I have learned nothing else, it was how to take care of my husband. My mother taught me that when you take care of your husband, he will in return, take care of you. I have seen and felt how much truth are in her words.

As many years as I have spent denying that I was anything like my parents, the truth is, I am very much like them in a lot of ways and deep down I have always know this. I have my dad's temper and I also have his tender heart. Some of my mom's OCD ways of cleaning I have managed to inherit as well and even that was passed down from my grandmother! I am learning to embrace these ways and make them my own. Being like them doesn't necessarily have to be bad or good. Learning to live with these character traits makes me who I am. I suppose it only adds to the person I strive so hard to be.

This is just another step in my journey of figuring out who I am.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

changes are coming

Four years ago, Trevor and Savanna came to live with us, to start a new life. One that we’d hoped would be fruitful and blessed. Our lives changed in every aspect over that four year period. We all grew in different ways. Some for the best and some, not so much. But overall, it was for the betterment of both of them and we saw great improvements over those four years. Last year, one simple mistake changed everything. July of last year during summer football camp, Trevor got caught with a pocket knife. He didn’t think anything of it because he always carries it, just like any other young man in Alabama. He didn’t think about it being a school function and honestly, who would? He had no intentions of harming anyone at all. Mind you, Trevor had come so very far in four years. He was making straight A’s, taking Honors classes, playing football and well on his way to making huge changes for his future. We could not have been more proud. The Autauga County School Board decided they need

life will go on...eventually

     I genuinely believed after having this major surgery, my quality of life would greatly improve. Don’t get me wrong-the surgery did relieve me of my headaches and for that, I am truly grateful. But it seems to have brought on another set of problems that I wasn’t prepared for. It has been frustrating, discouraging and most of all, very painful. My numerous doctors seem to believe that the surgery exacerbated a problem I began having before the surgery-arthritis in my hands. Now, it’s throughout my entire body and some days, it is hard to get out of bed, much less walk. It takes more strength than I knew I had. Pain meds and arthritis meds don’t seem to help much and some days are far worse than other. But I keep going, regardless because I have to. I pray daily for healing but I find myself asking why…why after going through such a traumatic event in my life, believing I was going to move onto something better, does this have to happen now? What am I supposed to be learning for th

tears

I'm an emotional kinda gal. I wear my heart on my sleeve. As tough as I try to be, I have more compassion than you could possibly imagine. I guess that's one of the many reasons I've wanted to become a nurse. So here it is, not even noon and I've probably cried or teared up at least 3-4 times. Why? I was listening to my iPod on the way home from picking up my kids from camp and a song came on that immediately sent my thoughts to Matt. I thought back to the first night we met and like a cheshire cat, my whole face lit up. My heart swelled until I thought it would burst in my chest, I got the warm fuzzies and then I started to cry. Not just tear up but CRY. Yeah. I'm a cry baby. It's the feeling that moves you to the most beautiful tears. Knowing that someone loves you more than themselves. That's hard to find. He can walk in a room and my whole world will stand still. That look he gives me ...butterflies, have mercy. When he wraps his arms around me, I