Skip to main content

support is important

About half way through my first marriage, I began to realize I had no support system in my life. I became very independent except for the little fact that I believed I could not financially survive on my own. It took a few more years to realize I just didn't give a shit anymore and I needed a way out. I took a huge leap of faith and almost 5 years later, this is where I landed. Right smack dab in the middle of happiness. Amazing.

In that time period, I lived out of necessity because it was my only option. I felt very alone and at that point, I had made up in my mind that I didn't "need" anyone anymore. This is how it was supposed to be. I didn't want to need anyone because people let you down daily. I was sick of being hurt all the time and not being able to depend on those I needed most. I stopped talking to people because they used my words and feelings against me. It was me against the world and even up until recently, I still felt that way. It hurts too much to need someone. All the people I needed in my world had let me down far too many times. So, I sucked it up and decided it was time to fight these battles on my own.

Fast forward five years. It is still very hard for me to talk to people personally. There are very few of whom I will confide in. I still feel as though no one really cares because everyone has problems of their own and they certainly don't want to hear mine. It is unfair to unload on others. We all fight our battles daily. Even as happy as I am, I still fight my demons. Meeting Matt changed my life. Cliche maybe, but it is 100% the truth. The first person in 34 years that I trusted without question or hesitation.  I don't really know why but it just felt right. Every single dark secret you could possibly imagine, I unloaded onto him and he made the choice to stay. He could have run and honestly, I expected him to. In the back of my mind, I believe I was trying to sabotage my own relationship. No one sticks around. Hell, my own parents didn't stick around; why should he? To have someone like you and even love you unconditionally with no questions asked-impossible. It really is. Yet somehow, he looked right through all that and into my soul. I remember telling him that I could see God's love for me through him. I believe God loves me the same way. Without fault, no strings attached, and seeing beyond all the dark, murky crap. How many people can honestly say they love or have been loved like that? It is a beautiful thing.

I have been in college since Matt and I met. He once told me that if I ever let our relationship get in the way of my education, he'd break up with me. I believed that. So I kept pushing on. Tomorrow, I graduate. Not necessarily how I planned for it to happen, but I'm still graduating nonetheless. He has been by my side through the sleepless nights, tears, heartache and stress. Do you know what he's most grateful for? That I'll be home waiting on him when he gets off work. For the last four years, it's been the other way around.

I now have a family of six. Whether you believe it or not, this is what I have prayed for. Family. Everything I did not have as a family growing up, I more than make up for now. Four amazing kids, who have made countless sacrifices because of me and college. How many times did I ask them to give up something because I needed to stay home and study? Or do homework? Too many to count and every single time, it broke my heart. Yet, they still cheered me on and supported everything I was doing. I am proud to have them all with me tomorrow when I walk across that stage. I did all of this for them, whether they know it or not. I am grateful for my incredibly wonderful husband who reminds me daily to have faith, keep praying and keep pushing on. I am beyond thrilled that they will all be by my side tomorrow. I hope I have made them all proud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

changes are coming

Four years ago, Trevor and Savanna came to live with us, to start a new life. One that we’d hoped would be fruitful and blessed. Our lives changed in every aspect over that four year period. We all grew in different ways. Some for the best and some, not so much. But overall, it was for the betterment of both of them and we saw great improvements over those four years. Last year, one simple mistake changed everything. July of last year during summer football camp, Trevor got caught with a pocket knife. He didn’t think anything of it because he always carries it, just like any other young man in Alabama. He didn’t think about it being a school function and honestly, who would? He had no intentions of harming anyone at all. Mind you, Trevor had come so very far in four years. He was making straight A’s, taking Honors classes, playing football and well on his way to making huge changes for his future. We could not have been more proud. The Autauga County School Board decided they need

life will go on...eventually

     I genuinely believed after having this major surgery, my quality of life would greatly improve. Don’t get me wrong-the surgery did relieve me of my headaches and for that, I am truly grateful. But it seems to have brought on another set of problems that I wasn’t prepared for. It has been frustrating, discouraging and most of all, very painful. My numerous doctors seem to believe that the surgery exacerbated a problem I began having before the surgery-arthritis in my hands. Now, it’s throughout my entire body and some days, it is hard to get out of bed, much less walk. It takes more strength than I knew I had. Pain meds and arthritis meds don’t seem to help much and some days are far worse than other. But I keep going, regardless because I have to. I pray daily for healing but I find myself asking why…why after going through such a traumatic event in my life, believing I was going to move onto something better, does this have to happen now? What am I supposed to be learning for th

tears

I'm an emotional kinda gal. I wear my heart on my sleeve. As tough as I try to be, I have more compassion than you could possibly imagine. I guess that's one of the many reasons I've wanted to become a nurse. So here it is, not even noon and I've probably cried or teared up at least 3-4 times. Why? I was listening to my iPod on the way home from picking up my kids from camp and a song came on that immediately sent my thoughts to Matt. I thought back to the first night we met and like a cheshire cat, my whole face lit up. My heart swelled until I thought it would burst in my chest, I got the warm fuzzies and then I started to cry. Not just tear up but CRY. Yeah. I'm a cry baby. It's the feeling that moves you to the most beautiful tears. Knowing that someone loves you more than themselves. That's hard to find. He can walk in a room and my whole world will stand still. That look he gives me ...butterflies, have mercy. When he wraps his arms around me, I