Skip to main content

my struggle-the beginning



I’ve been reading a lot of stories about people and their struggles with weight. So here is mine to start.

My husband deployed to Iraq in 2011. By far, the most trying time in my life; wondering daily if I was going to get “that call”. By the grace and love of God, he came home to me and our four children happy, healthy and most importantly, safely. During that time, I dropped 60 lbs. That’s the most weight I’ve lost in any given time in my life.

Up until I was about 15 years old, I never had any issues with weight. I was ADD and until I turned 14, I was on Ritalin. If you know anything about this medication, it prevents you from gaining weight. Up until I started high school, I was all of 90 pounds soaking wet. I looked like a boy. My mom kept my hair short and people made fun of me. After I got off Ritalin, I started my period and began to blossom into a young lady. It wasn’t until I heard my father tell me my butt was spreading and that I had a “bertha butt” that weight became an issue for me. 

I got pregnant was I was 16 and gave birth when I was 17. I gained 50 lbs when I had Nate. It was all baby for the most part (he was 9lbs!), but I held on to some of that weight afterwards. I was probably a size 12. When I was 21, I had McKenzie and I gained more weight. I never really had any interest in losing it and I didn’t look at my weight as a problem. Over the years, I slowly gained more and more until I really started to take notice. My ex didn’t want me to lose weight. He always encouraged my “big ass” and things of that nature. Because I thought I wanted to keep him happy, I did nothing about it.
After Matt came home, I stopped going to the gym. I felt like I had a year’s worth of making up to do; to cook and take care of my husband and spend all the time with him that I can. I knew I was gaining weight but part of me didn’t care. I knew in my heart that no matter what, he was going to love me. My own person demons mentally castrated me. Horrible, terrible self-talk pushed me into a deep depression. I wanted to have weight loss surgery but I didn’t really have the support I wanted or needed and it hurt. The insurance company denied me having the procedure because I lost weight one time. So I continued on with my mental struggle, hating what I saw in the mirror every single time. I’ve cried one too many times over my weight. “You look disgusting, people talk about you behind your back, and no one is going to love you…” that’s the crap that constantly went through my head. I said things to myself that would make the devil cringe. 

Comparison. It is the worst! I compare myself to my friends, to other people around me, thinking I needed to be skinny like them. I would be so much happier with myself and people would like me if I were skinnier. My husband would think I was HOT if I lost all this weight. I refuse to get on the back of his motorcycle being this size. I’d probably tip it over. Even sex is an issue for me.
Love yourself. How do you do this? How do you make a conscious effort to “love yourself” and just be okay with who you are? Ten years ago, I never gave this a single thought. I had too many other struggles in my life and loving me wasn’t even a thought. Now, it consumes me. I hear it all the time. Being comfortable in my own skin; being able to look at myself in the mirror, naked, and being okay; not obsessing over the skin that hangs from my stomach because I gave birth to children, or seeing that I’ve gained a double chin from regaining weight.

I want just want to be happy and healthy. I want to be able to walk to the parking lot of my job without huffing and puffing. I just want to look at myself in a mirror and smile just because I’m okay with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

changes are coming

Four years ago, Trevor and Savanna came to live with us, to start a new life. One that we’d hoped would be fruitful and blessed. Our lives changed in every aspect over that four year period. We all grew in different ways. Some for the best and some, not so much. But overall, it was for the betterment of both of them and we saw great improvements over those four years. Last year, one simple mistake changed everything. July of last year during summer football camp, Trevor got caught with a pocket knife. He didn’t think anything of it because he always carries it, just like any other young man in Alabama. He didn’t think about it being a school function and honestly, who would? He had no intentions of harming anyone at all. Mind you, Trevor had come so very far in four years. He was making straight A’s, taking Honors classes, playing football and well on his way to making huge changes for his future. We could not have been more proud. The Autauga County School Board decided they need

life will go on...eventually

     I genuinely believed after having this major surgery, my quality of life would greatly improve. Don’t get me wrong-the surgery did relieve me of my headaches and for that, I am truly grateful. But it seems to have brought on another set of problems that I wasn’t prepared for. It has been frustrating, discouraging and most of all, very painful. My numerous doctors seem to believe that the surgery exacerbated a problem I began having before the surgery-arthritis in my hands. Now, it’s throughout my entire body and some days, it is hard to get out of bed, much less walk. It takes more strength than I knew I had. Pain meds and arthritis meds don’t seem to help much and some days are far worse than other. But I keep going, regardless because I have to. I pray daily for healing but I find myself asking why…why after going through such a traumatic event in my life, believing I was going to move onto something better, does this have to happen now? What am I supposed to be learning for th

tears

I'm an emotional kinda gal. I wear my heart on my sleeve. As tough as I try to be, I have more compassion than you could possibly imagine. I guess that's one of the many reasons I've wanted to become a nurse. So here it is, not even noon and I've probably cried or teared up at least 3-4 times. Why? I was listening to my iPod on the way home from picking up my kids from camp and a song came on that immediately sent my thoughts to Matt. I thought back to the first night we met and like a cheshire cat, my whole face lit up. My heart swelled until I thought it would burst in my chest, I got the warm fuzzies and then I started to cry. Not just tear up but CRY. Yeah. I'm a cry baby. It's the feeling that moves you to the most beautiful tears. Knowing that someone loves you more than themselves. That's hard to find. He can walk in a room and my whole world will stand still. That look he gives me ...butterflies, have mercy. When he wraps his arms around me, I