Skip to main content

starting a new chapter

By now, we all know how emotional I am. It’s nothing new.

Lately, it has been more than usually. I get pretty weepy these days. I’m not even counting down days. I refuse.

Nate will be 18 on Friday. 18. I have been his mother for 18 beautifully chaotic years. Beautiful chaos… It is all I could come up with to sum it up. It has been a privilege to watch this gorgeous child grow into an amazing young man.

He has the most beautiful heart, next to his sister. I once said he had the heart of a servant. I still see that in him. He guards his heart fiercely. He loves God. He loves his family. He loves life. He has this contagious smile and he laughs from his belly. The best parts of me I see mixed and mingled into his personality. He still hugs and kisses his mom; even in public. I love that most. This morning, I kept thinking, “I’m going to miss his hugs most.” Those hugs he gives for no other reason than to simply say “I love you”.

In a few short weeks, he is going to graduate from high school and not long after, leave for basic training. He has dreams and he is determined to fulfil them.

There isn’t much I knew at age 17, but I knew he was going to move on to do great things in his life. I never doubted it for a moment. He would just need someone to push him and believe in him, no matter what he chose to do in life. God gave me this phenomenal gift of being his mother and I did my best not to mess that up. He trusted me with this life in my hands. I pray daily that I have done him justice in raising this bright, intelligent, loving young man.

I worry more for me than I do for him. He’ll never really know the impact he’s had on my life; how much he’s changed me into the woman and mother I am today. I send him into the world with confidence knowing he will succeed. I joked with Matt the other day. I said I’d tell Nate “Congrats, you survived 18 years of your mom.” Lol Seriously, if you can survive living with me, I’m quite confident you can survive whatever the world has to offer.

I truly believe God brought Matt into our lives at the perfect time. Nate was beginning to grow into the man he would become and Matt’s influences have had a tremendous effect on him. I have seen this with my eyes and with my heart. I could not have asked for a better role model in his life, during the most important years of his adolescence. I will always be grateful for the impact he’s made on our son.  


It is a new chapter in our journey, for him and for me. He’s the first to leave the nest and he’ll take a piece of me with him when he goes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

changes are coming

Four years ago, Trevor and Savanna came to live with us, to start a new life. One that we’d hoped would be fruitful and blessed. Our lives changed in every aspect over that four year period. We all grew in different ways. Some for the best and some, not so much. But overall, it was for the betterment of both of them and we saw great improvements over those four years. Last year, one simple mistake changed everything. July of last year during summer football camp, Trevor got caught with a pocket knife. He didn’t think anything of it because he always carries it, just like any other young man in Alabama. He didn’t think about it being a school function and honestly, who would? He had no intentions of harming anyone at all. Mind you, Trevor had come so very far in four years. He was making straight A’s, taking Honors classes, playing football and well on his way to making huge changes for his future. We could not have been more proud. The Autauga County School Board decided they need

life will go on...eventually

     I genuinely believed after having this major surgery, my quality of life would greatly improve. Don’t get me wrong-the surgery did relieve me of my headaches and for that, I am truly grateful. But it seems to have brought on another set of problems that I wasn’t prepared for. It has been frustrating, discouraging and most of all, very painful. My numerous doctors seem to believe that the surgery exacerbated a problem I began having before the surgery-arthritis in my hands. Now, it’s throughout my entire body and some days, it is hard to get out of bed, much less walk. It takes more strength than I knew I had. Pain meds and arthritis meds don’t seem to help much and some days are far worse than other. But I keep going, regardless because I have to. I pray daily for healing but I find myself asking why…why after going through such a traumatic event in my life, believing I was going to move onto something better, does this have to happen now? What am I supposed to be learning for th

tears

I'm an emotional kinda gal. I wear my heart on my sleeve. As tough as I try to be, I have more compassion than you could possibly imagine. I guess that's one of the many reasons I've wanted to become a nurse. So here it is, not even noon and I've probably cried or teared up at least 3-4 times. Why? I was listening to my iPod on the way home from picking up my kids from camp and a song came on that immediately sent my thoughts to Matt. I thought back to the first night we met and like a cheshire cat, my whole face lit up. My heart swelled until I thought it would burst in my chest, I got the warm fuzzies and then I started to cry. Not just tear up but CRY. Yeah. I'm a cry baby. It's the feeling that moves you to the most beautiful tears. Knowing that someone loves you more than themselves. That's hard to find. He can walk in a room and my whole world will stand still. That look he gives me ...butterflies, have mercy. When he wraps his arms around me, I