Skip to main content

great faith

This week has been a struggle. I've sat and prayed and tried to look through the storm clouds and see the blessing in all this and believe it or not, I've managed to do so.

Matt left a week ago today for Annual Training. It's almost like basic all over again for him. Three weeks in the cold, bitter weather, learning maneuvers and tactics that he'll need while he's deployed. I've done my best not to have a pity party because I miss him so much. I know it's hard for him. The first night, he was sleeping in a tent outside in 18 degree weather in North Alabama. Now those of you from the South know we are NOT used to that type of weather. So my first worry, of course, was of him staying warm. I don't always understand the ways of military thinking but who am I to question them, right?

He calls me at least once a day and tells me of his days of crawling through mud and battling Mother Nature's brutal conditions. He doesn't get to shower for 2-3 days, he has to use Porta-potties and eat MRE's. (for us civilians, that's meals ready to eat. They come in these little green package...kinda gross really) I believe they get one warm meal a day. Thinking about all this, I realize the many small things we take for granted in life. How easy it is for us to just get up, fix a cup of coffee, jump in a nice, hot shower and come and go as we please.

Monday most of the state shut down due to a winter storm. Again, Southerns don't deal with this type of weather well. Icy roads, snow...not your typical winter down here. I was very much looking forward to going back to work. Idol time does terrible things. I started missing him terribly. I prayed while sitting on the front porch for God to take my mind off things, get me back to work so I could keep myself busy long enough for him to come home to me without losing what little bit of sanity I have. One day turned into an entire week.

Monday night, I started having small dizzy spells. Which them turned into something much worse that landed me in the ER at 10pm. The rest of my week turned into a nightmare. I'm sure most of you have had a few too many to drink once in awhile. This felt like a week long horrible drunk venture. I couldn't walk without almost falling over. I was one big mess. When my mind finally started to refocus from all this, I realized something. A week had passed by. Huh. Guess maybe it is possible to find blessings in a storm.

I can't say I've enjoyed being off work this week. I can think of better things I would have rather been doing. But this episode did make time go by a lil faster and it took my mind of him just not being here. It was frustrating to say the least and there was a day about midway through all this where I desperately wanted him home. This episode was scary for me and I didn't fully understand what was going on and him being by my side gives me great comfort. But God also revealed a few things to me that I've taken to heart.

I have some pretty incredible friends. Now let me first start by saying, I'm a prideful, independent woman. I do not like asking for help. Since Matt was gone, I had no other choice but to ask. I guess this was God's wake up call for me. It's ok to ask for help and my pride shouldn't stop that. But I also realize that when Matt's not here, I have other people in my life that I can lean on. First and foremost, God. He gave me the opportunity to learn a lot of lessons this week. I have a great many people in my life who are there for me when I need them and that's always been important to me. I've always been afraid to depend on others because I've been let down a lot. God put those people in my life for this very reason.

I won't say it's been a great week but I will say that it's been a God experience. It's taught me that even in the worse of times, great life changes can be made if you can look past the dark clouds. But I have faith that no matter the circumstance, He will see me through them til the end.

In life, let every circumstance be a lesson; seek out what God is trying to show you. Whether the situation is good or bad, use it at a stepping stone.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. ~ Jeremiah 29:11 (thanks Lynn!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

changes are coming

Four years ago, Trevor and Savanna came to live with us, to start a new life. One that we’d hoped would be fruitful and blessed. Our lives changed in every aspect over that four year period. We all grew in different ways. Some for the best and some, not so much. But overall, it was for the betterment of both of them and we saw great improvements over those four years. Last year, one simple mistake changed everything. July of last year during summer football camp, Trevor got caught with a pocket knife. He didn’t think anything of it because he always carries it, just like any other young man in Alabama. He didn’t think about it being a school function and honestly, who would? He had no intentions of harming anyone at all. Mind you, Trevor had come so very far in four years. He was making straight A’s, taking Honors classes, playing football and well on his way to making huge changes for his future. We could not have been more proud. The Autauga County School Board decided they need

life will go on...eventually

     I genuinely believed after having this major surgery, my quality of life would greatly improve. Don’t get me wrong-the surgery did relieve me of my headaches and for that, I am truly grateful. But it seems to have brought on another set of problems that I wasn’t prepared for. It has been frustrating, discouraging and most of all, very painful. My numerous doctors seem to believe that the surgery exacerbated a problem I began having before the surgery-arthritis in my hands. Now, it’s throughout my entire body and some days, it is hard to get out of bed, much less walk. It takes more strength than I knew I had. Pain meds and arthritis meds don’t seem to help much and some days are far worse than other. But I keep going, regardless because I have to. I pray daily for healing but I find myself asking why…why after going through such a traumatic event in my life, believing I was going to move onto something better, does this have to happen now? What am I supposed to be learning for th

tears

I'm an emotional kinda gal. I wear my heart on my sleeve. As tough as I try to be, I have more compassion than you could possibly imagine. I guess that's one of the many reasons I've wanted to become a nurse. So here it is, not even noon and I've probably cried or teared up at least 3-4 times. Why? I was listening to my iPod on the way home from picking up my kids from camp and a song came on that immediately sent my thoughts to Matt. I thought back to the first night we met and like a cheshire cat, my whole face lit up. My heart swelled until I thought it would burst in my chest, I got the warm fuzzies and then I started to cry. Not just tear up but CRY. Yeah. I'm a cry baby. It's the feeling that moves you to the most beautiful tears. Knowing that someone loves you more than themselves. That's hard to find. He can walk in a room and my whole world will stand still. That look he gives me ...butterflies, have mercy. When he wraps his arms around me, I