Skip to main content

walk by faith

Yesterday, I was accepted into Nursing school at Troy University. Yay me!!

For most people, it was just a simple congratulations. Don't get me wrong. I'm ever so grateful for all the well wishes. But you have to understand the history behind it all. I've only shared that with two important people in my life; my husband Matt and my friend, Tonya.

It's taken two years and four attempts for me to apply to nursing school. Timing was always wrong, grades weren't what they should be and I was getting discouraged. I had decided if I didn't get it this time, I was going to give up but I knew that attitude would get me no where.

I left my job with the State before I knew my application status with Troy. I took a huge leap of faith. See, for as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a nurse. No, really. Even when I was a little girl, I said I'd wanted to be a nurse some day. Now, I know we all have our phases as kids of being doctors and lawyers and firemen. Some of us still want to be Superman. Although, according to Kym, I'm Superwoman anyway. ;) But seriously, I can't ever remember not wanting to be a nurse. I will say that I've changed my career path a few times because I found other interests in my life but somehow I've always been lead back to healthcare.

I once took this test in church. Yes, really. It was a gifted test. It was supposed to show you the abilities, talents and gifts that God blessed you with and guide you in how to use them. My gift-healing and mercy. That alone spoke volumes to me. I'd made up my mind that this was the path God was leading me down and I was going to use the gifts He'd blessed me with or I'd lose them. So...my journey began.

And I left my job with the State. Huge leap of faith. HUGE. But somehow I knew that GOD was going to be there where ever I landed. How right I was. I imagine a few people thought I was pretty foolish. Who leaves their job, a job with the State, no less, in the middle of this awful economy, holding out for a career they don't even know they have yet?! One who fully believes in the love of God and knowing that this is the path He has chosen for me. And never will I doubt Him again.

Yesterday, my acceptance letter came in the mail. I was terrified to open that envelope. I didn't get past the first sentence when I saw the words "congratulations" and that was all I needed to see. Both of my kids were standing there in front of me. Even they had understood the important of this one piece of mail. I leaped into the air and screamed with sheer joy and hugged both of my kids. And then I cried and held onto my son for what seemed like forever. Flashes of age 17 came to my head all over again, graduating high school with a baby on my hip. I realized how far I'd come in my life. 31 years old and I was about to start nursing school and I had my 14 year old son by my side. All I kept saying over and over again was, "I finally did it...I finally did it...". And I did. I really did. I hope my son is proud of me.

This probably ranks in the top five of most important moments in my life. Yesterday was a good day.

Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

changes are coming

Four years ago, Trevor and Savanna came to live with us, to start a new life. One that we’d hoped would be fruitful and blessed. Our lives changed in every aspect over that four year period. We all grew in different ways. Some for the best and some, not so much. But overall, it was for the betterment of both of them and we saw great improvements over those four years. Last year, one simple mistake changed everything. July of last year during summer football camp, Trevor got caught with a pocket knife. He didn’t think anything of it because he always carries it, just like any other young man in Alabama. He didn’t think about it being a school function and honestly, who would? He had no intentions of harming anyone at all. Mind you, Trevor had come so very far in four years. He was making straight A’s, taking Honors classes, playing football and well on his way to making huge changes for his future. We could not have been more proud. The Autauga County School Board decided they need

life will go on...eventually

     I genuinely believed after having this major surgery, my quality of life would greatly improve. Don’t get me wrong-the surgery did relieve me of my headaches and for that, I am truly grateful. But it seems to have brought on another set of problems that I wasn’t prepared for. It has been frustrating, discouraging and most of all, very painful. My numerous doctors seem to believe that the surgery exacerbated a problem I began having before the surgery-arthritis in my hands. Now, it’s throughout my entire body and some days, it is hard to get out of bed, much less walk. It takes more strength than I knew I had. Pain meds and arthritis meds don’t seem to help much and some days are far worse than other. But I keep going, regardless because I have to. I pray daily for healing but I find myself asking why…why after going through such a traumatic event in my life, believing I was going to move onto something better, does this have to happen now? What am I supposed to be learning for th

tears

I'm an emotional kinda gal. I wear my heart on my sleeve. As tough as I try to be, I have more compassion than you could possibly imagine. I guess that's one of the many reasons I've wanted to become a nurse. So here it is, not even noon and I've probably cried or teared up at least 3-4 times. Why? I was listening to my iPod on the way home from picking up my kids from camp and a song came on that immediately sent my thoughts to Matt. I thought back to the first night we met and like a cheshire cat, my whole face lit up. My heart swelled until I thought it would burst in my chest, I got the warm fuzzies and then I started to cry. Not just tear up but CRY. Yeah. I'm a cry baby. It's the feeling that moves you to the most beautiful tears. Knowing that someone loves you more than themselves. That's hard to find. He can walk in a room and my whole world will stand still. That look he gives me ...butterflies, have mercy. When he wraps his arms around me, I