Skip to main content

choices

Politics has been the mainstream for the last month or more. Up until a year or so ago, I didn't give much thought to politics. I turned a blind eye to most of it, foolishly I might add. While I'm still figuring policies and legislation, it's given me much time to decide what I truly believe in as an American citizen. Here's what I've come up with thus far:

1. Abortion-while I don't agree with it, I do not believe the government has the right to tell me what to do with my body. As a woman, I find that deeply offensive. This is MY body and I'll do with it as I see fit. You don't like abortions? Don't get one. No man, woman or child should ever be told what to do with their bodies, much less by the government.

2. Marriage-Gay, straight, curved or crooked. I don't care. It's not my business who you love or don't love or whom you choose to spend the rest of your life with. It certainly is none of the government's business and they should have no say so in who you marry.

3. Military-I bleed red, white and blue and came out of the womb as such. Both my parents and my brother along with uncles, grandparents and so forth have served this great nation and I'm extremely proud of that. I am the wife of a soldier who has been deployed three times. I stand by his side strongly and proudly and I will always until my last dying breath. I believe that one of the requirements to becoming President of the United States is that you serve this country for a minimum of four years. You have no business dictating military policies or being Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces if you've never experienced them yourself.

4. Welfare-I have no problem giving a helping hand when needed. I have walked in those shoes many times and have needed assistance myself. I am not ashamed to admit that I've been on foodstamps a time or two but here's how it went: When I needed the help, I asked for it, qualified and received. When I no longer needed help, I voluntarily stopped receiving assistance. That is exactly how it should work. I am sympathetic to those who cannot work either because of physical or mental handicaps. Those who are perfectly capable of working should. Cheating and abusing the system is not ok by my standards and those who do so should be punished. Yes, I believe that if you want assistance, you should take regular and random drug tests. Most employers routinely require drug testing for work. If you cannot pass a drug test, then you should receive no help. I suppose if you want help bad enough, you'll leave the drugs alone.

5. Religion-I believe in God. What God is none of your business and neither is your God any of mine. I believe in the freedom of religion as well as the ability to express that belief. I don't care of you are Pagan, atheist, Buddhist or worship the devil himself. That is your belief. Religion is a touchy subject. Me personally, if you wanna walk around with a sign saying "I believe in Allah" be my guest. I don't have to read it or believe in it. Unfortunately, religion is not that simple. But then again, nothing in politics is.

6. Healthcare-I am still undecided on this and I have may mixed emotions about it. I still haven't done enough research to make any sound, rational decisions but I'll admit, I am not fond of the idea of having to pay for someone else's insurance simply because they cannot afford it. I believe in some ways, it should be similar to automobile insurance. The law requires me to carry auto insurance. No one pays for it if I don't purchase it myself. I just get penalized if I'm caught driving without it. I don't feel sorry for people who don't have auto insurance. So should I feel sorry for those who don't have health insurance? The jury is still out on that one. Having spent a small amount of time in the healthcare world, I can see many sides of this. But I'll have to come back to this when I have more reliable information.

7. Immigration-Be legal. If you want to live in my country, you should follow our rules. Do you know that Australia is one of the hardest countries to obtain citizenship, let alone visit? They even go as far as having weight requirements. You have to have a college degree in order to take residence there and even then you do not have the same rights as a citizen does. So what is so difficult about going the legal route to become a US citizen?

8. Death penalty-I believe in it to the fullest extent. That is all.

9. International policy-Help at home first. I understand the theory of "scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". That's all great and lovely but when is it too much? When you are to the point that China practically owns you? Yeah, I think that's a bit much. We'd have PLENTY of work here if we just made what China is making for us. You'd see more "Made in America" than "Made in China" stamped on the bottom of my Walmart products. Wouldn't that solve the unemployment problem? Maybe. I'm not a genius but it kinda makes sense to me.

10. Income-If you  make more, you should pay more taxes, If you make less, you should pay less. Seems pretty simple to me. What sense does it make for someone who makes less than $25K a year to pay at the same tax rate as someone who makes $100K a year? None. Just pay your damn taxes.

I believe marijuana should be legal. I don't believe we should be bailing out big industry businesses. I've studied enough business in college to know that it's just not good practice. It gives people an excuse to ask for handouts. If you cannot run your business properly, you shouldn't be in it. I believe our government is way too involved in our personal lives. I believe we should all have the right to carry guns, as long as you meet the recommended requires of your state laws. Do you think making weed and guns illegal are going to stop people from using them? Uh, no. Do you think they hurt people? Nope. Not at all. People hurt people. It's a pretty simple concept, in my opinion. If you don't wanna do it, don't. But don't stop others who want to and are responsible about it.

I'm sure there is much more that I haven't covered, but that's the jist of it. Am I Democratic? Republican? Who cares? It's all about your choices and beliefs. I don't believe political titles are going to change anything in our country.

But just in case you are wondering, I recently did a "test", if you will, to determine where I stand politically. According to the results, I am considered "Neo-conservative". More along the lines and beliefs of  Dr. Jill Stein, Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

changes are coming

Four years ago, Trevor and Savanna came to live with us, to start a new life. One that we’d hoped would be fruitful and blessed. Our lives changed in every aspect over that four year period. We all grew in different ways. Some for the best and some, not so much. But overall, it was for the betterment of both of them and we saw great improvements over those four years. Last year, one simple mistake changed everything. July of last year during summer football camp, Trevor got caught with a pocket knife. He didn’t think anything of it because he always carries it, just like any other young man in Alabama. He didn’t think about it being a school function and honestly, who would? He had no intentions of harming anyone at all. Mind you, Trevor had come so very far in four years. He was making straight A’s, taking Honors classes, playing football and well on his way to making huge changes for his future. We could not have been more proud. The Autauga County School Board decided they need

life will go on...eventually

     I genuinely believed after having this major surgery, my quality of life would greatly improve. Don’t get me wrong-the surgery did relieve me of my headaches and for that, I am truly grateful. But it seems to have brought on another set of problems that I wasn’t prepared for. It has been frustrating, discouraging and most of all, very painful. My numerous doctors seem to believe that the surgery exacerbated a problem I began having before the surgery-arthritis in my hands. Now, it’s throughout my entire body and some days, it is hard to get out of bed, much less walk. It takes more strength than I knew I had. Pain meds and arthritis meds don’t seem to help much and some days are far worse than other. But I keep going, regardless because I have to. I pray daily for healing but I find myself asking why…why after going through such a traumatic event in my life, believing I was going to move onto something better, does this have to happen now? What am I supposed to be learning for th

tears

I'm an emotional kinda gal. I wear my heart on my sleeve. As tough as I try to be, I have more compassion than you could possibly imagine. I guess that's one of the many reasons I've wanted to become a nurse. So here it is, not even noon and I've probably cried or teared up at least 3-4 times. Why? I was listening to my iPod on the way home from picking up my kids from camp and a song came on that immediately sent my thoughts to Matt. I thought back to the first night we met and like a cheshire cat, my whole face lit up. My heart swelled until I thought it would burst in my chest, I got the warm fuzzies and then I started to cry. Not just tear up but CRY. Yeah. I'm a cry baby. It's the feeling that moves you to the most beautiful tears. Knowing that someone loves you more than themselves. That's hard to find. He can walk in a room and my whole world will stand still. That look he gives me ...butterflies, have mercy. When he wraps his arms around me, I