Skip to main content

bragging rights

I'm sure you get tired of hearing me brag about my kids. So what. I don't care. :) My kids are awesome and as a mom, I have the right to do so. So here goes one more time! (But not the last time!)

It is that time of year to pick schedules for the next school year. Yeah, I know, right?! Where has this year gone?? In the fall, I'll have a 7th grader and 11th grader. Just thinking about that makes me tear up. Someone slam on the brakes and rewind a few years, please! This is going way too fast for me. We are talking about college and moving and life decisions. It's pretty intense but as a mom, it makes me pretty proud too.

Nate is ever more determined he's going to head off to California. I have some problems with that. While I'll never discourage my kids' dreams, I just don't think he's ready for that. Only time will tell but I'm trying my best to get him to stay a little closer to home, if only for a short while. Get a taste of the real world first, kid. You might not be so hasty to run off to the other side of the continent.

He's maintained A-B status for the last two years which has been excellent for his GPA. It's also gotten him invited into Beta Club which he gladly accepted. When we met with his counselor a few weeks ago to pick his courses and make sure he was on track for graduation, she suggested he pick up Honors courses for next year. Impressive! I think he needs a little more challenge  The boy comes home with no homework! He finishes it all at school. He stays pretty busy between soccer and some volunteer work he does here and there but I think a challenging course load is just what he needs. It also puts him in a more intellectual group of students; like-minded individuals who will help push him along and encourage him. I think it's great!

Miss McKenzie, my little social butterfly with her big heart. She's just as smart as the boy and is always up to new things! I looked over her registration form this morning and it should not have surprised me that she wants to be involved with the Yearbook and Communications. She loves the spot light; so unlike her mother. Her Communications course does the morning announcements on TV. Right up her alley! She's into drama, singing and what not. Not a shy bone in her body. This past year she took German in her Cultural Studies class. Next year they are offering French. Secretly,  I'm hoping she gets picked for that class. I like my kids being taught such a variety. I really love these classes they offer.

My girl also got inducted into Beta Club this past year. I'm really proud of how far she's come over the last few years. My divorce was tough on her and we've gone through some bumps in the road. Matt is such a great influence on her and he encourages her so much. She's playing soccer as well and she just loves it! Her hope is to try out for the varsity team next year which would have her playing with her brother! I'm pretty excited about that myself!

I'm always in awe of my kids. They are pretty incredible people. I try to keep them involved in different activities hoping for open minds to new and different opportunities life has to offer. I think it's helped them to grow and mature and to find their niche in life.

Nate- I think of as my serious, focused, big hearted kid. He's determined. He knows exactly what he wants and he'll do whatever is necessary to get there. Sometimes it takes a little nudge to keep him on track but he's grown so much in the last two years.

McKenzie-My sweet girl, light hearted and hasn't a care in the world. She loves getting all the praises. It keeps her motivated. She likes encouragement and attention. A blessing and a curse. My hope is that I can teach her the right ways to get that attention.

I can't even begin to imagine what my life would be like without these two in it. I've learned a lot from them. They have taught me to grow as a person as well. I am and will always be proud for these two beautiful souls. Being trusted with their lives has been an enormous responsibility and one I don't take lightly. I wouldn't trade a single moment. I only wish it lasted just a bit longer... <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

changes are coming

Four years ago, Trevor and Savanna came to live with us, to start a new life. One that we’d hoped would be fruitful and blessed. Our lives changed in every aspect over that four year period. We all grew in different ways. Some for the best and some, not so much. But overall, it was for the betterment of both of them and we saw great improvements over those four years. Last year, one simple mistake changed everything. July of last year during summer football camp, Trevor got caught with a pocket knife. He didn’t think anything of it because he always carries it, just like any other young man in Alabama. He didn’t think about it being a school function and honestly, who would? He had no intentions of harming anyone at all. Mind you, Trevor had come so very far in four years. He was making straight A’s, taking Honors classes, playing football and well on his way to making huge changes for his future. We could not have been more proud. The Autauga County School Board decided they need

life will go on...eventually

     I genuinely believed after having this major surgery, my quality of life would greatly improve. Don’t get me wrong-the surgery did relieve me of my headaches and for that, I am truly grateful. But it seems to have brought on another set of problems that I wasn’t prepared for. It has been frustrating, discouraging and most of all, very painful. My numerous doctors seem to believe that the surgery exacerbated a problem I began having before the surgery-arthritis in my hands. Now, it’s throughout my entire body and some days, it is hard to get out of bed, much less walk. It takes more strength than I knew I had. Pain meds and arthritis meds don’t seem to help much and some days are far worse than other. But I keep going, regardless because I have to. I pray daily for healing but I find myself asking why…why after going through such a traumatic event in my life, believing I was going to move onto something better, does this have to happen now? What am I supposed to be learning for th

tears

I'm an emotional kinda gal. I wear my heart on my sleeve. As tough as I try to be, I have more compassion than you could possibly imagine. I guess that's one of the many reasons I've wanted to become a nurse. So here it is, not even noon and I've probably cried or teared up at least 3-4 times. Why? I was listening to my iPod on the way home from picking up my kids from camp and a song came on that immediately sent my thoughts to Matt. I thought back to the first night we met and like a cheshire cat, my whole face lit up. My heart swelled until I thought it would burst in my chest, I got the warm fuzzies and then I started to cry. Not just tear up but CRY. Yeah. I'm a cry baby. It's the feeling that moves you to the most beautiful tears. Knowing that someone loves you more than themselves. That's hard to find. He can walk in a room and my whole world will stand still. That look he gives me ...butterflies, have mercy. When he wraps his arms around me, I