Skip to main content

what is whole?

So this is where I begin. I don’t know how or what I need to do but here is where I start.

 I am angry and hurt. I have been for 18 years of my life. I’ve only recently to come realize it fully. I am angry at my parents for turning their backs on me when I needed them most. I am angry at my father for loving my mother more than me. I am angry at my mother for making me feel as though she never loved me and never wanted me. That is how she made me feel, whether she admits to it or not. I am angry because as a mother to four kids, I cannot EVER imagine turning my kids away, no matter what they do in their lives, good or bad. My parents did that to me. Maybe I was a bad kid; I don’t necessarily agree with that but whatever. No matter what I did to either of them, they NEVER should have turned their backs on me. Never. I am angry at family who never once asked my side of the story and never stood up for me. I love my Grandmother because no matter what, she loved me and stuck her neck out for me. I am angry at my mother for turning her back on her own mother. She should be grateful. Those two women are nothing alike. My Grandmother has gone through hell and back for her family, including me.

 My biggest secret of my life- only a handful of people know this and I guess there is no reason to hide it anymore. My parents shoved me in three mental institutions as a child. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was five years old. They labeled me with every single thing they could come up with. In the 80s, doctors didn’t know shit. Looking back now and comparing-all I wanted was a mother who loved me and needed me. She made it very clear she did not. Every single thing I did was little me screaming for attention and love. No, instead it was easier to slap “crazy” on me and throw me into a hospital. So they did. I have the scars to prove it.
 
I feel like I’ve had to keep all these things secret my entire life. I was afraid no one would believe me. So what? I know what happened and God knows what happened regardless of what anyone chooses to believe or accept or deny. It happened. I am sick of feeling like I’m some sort of victim. I’m not. I am a pissed off woman and although I will never get the answers I want out of all this, I have to learn how to let this go and move on with my life. I just do not know how and I am desperately trying. I want to be loved and accepted as I am right now at this very moment and not by who I was 18 years ago. Yet, I am constantly feeling as though I am being punished for my past which is why my parents choose not to be a part of my life now.
 
There is a lot that I don’t remember about my life. No one has been able to tell me why. There are huge chunks of my memories missing. I can only assume I have then blocked out for a reason. Maybe God wants it that way. Most of my good memories are times spent with my grandparents. I remember them being there for me when no one else was.
 
In spite of all this, I turned out as normal as I could be, whatever normal is. I haven’t killed anyone, hell I haven’t had so much as a parking ticket. I am not crazy. I’m just broken. I’m tired of being broken. I have no idea what it feels like to be whole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

changes are coming

Four years ago, Trevor and Savanna came to live with us, to start a new life. One that we’d hoped would be fruitful and blessed. Our lives changed in every aspect over that four year period. We all grew in different ways. Some for the best and some, not so much. But overall, it was for the betterment of both of them and we saw great improvements over those four years. Last year, one simple mistake changed everything. July of last year during summer football camp, Trevor got caught with a pocket knife. He didn’t think anything of it because he always carries it, just like any other young man in Alabama. He didn’t think about it being a school function and honestly, who would? He had no intentions of harming anyone at all. Mind you, Trevor had come so very far in four years. He was making straight A’s, taking Honors classes, playing football and well on his way to making huge changes for his future. We could not have been more proud. The Autauga County School Board decided they need

life will go on...eventually

     I genuinely believed after having this major surgery, my quality of life would greatly improve. Don’t get me wrong-the surgery did relieve me of my headaches and for that, I am truly grateful. But it seems to have brought on another set of problems that I wasn’t prepared for. It has been frustrating, discouraging and most of all, very painful. My numerous doctors seem to believe that the surgery exacerbated a problem I began having before the surgery-arthritis in my hands. Now, it’s throughout my entire body and some days, it is hard to get out of bed, much less walk. It takes more strength than I knew I had. Pain meds and arthritis meds don’t seem to help much and some days are far worse than other. But I keep going, regardless because I have to. I pray daily for healing but I find myself asking why…why after going through such a traumatic event in my life, believing I was going to move onto something better, does this have to happen now? What am I supposed to be learning for th

tears

I'm an emotional kinda gal. I wear my heart on my sleeve. As tough as I try to be, I have more compassion than you could possibly imagine. I guess that's one of the many reasons I've wanted to become a nurse. So here it is, not even noon and I've probably cried or teared up at least 3-4 times. Why? I was listening to my iPod on the way home from picking up my kids from camp and a song came on that immediately sent my thoughts to Matt. I thought back to the first night we met and like a cheshire cat, my whole face lit up. My heart swelled until I thought it would burst in my chest, I got the warm fuzzies and then I started to cry. Not just tear up but CRY. Yeah. I'm a cry baby. It's the feeling that moves you to the most beautiful tears. Knowing that someone loves you more than themselves. That's hard to find. He can walk in a room and my whole world will stand still. That look he gives me ...butterflies, have mercy. When he wraps his arms around me, I