Skip to main content

my greatest accomplishment


If I ever become a statistic, the odds will always be in my favor.

I’m a stubborn girl. I always have been and always will be. I buck the system every chance I get because I have always wanted to be outside of the norm. Normal is overrated. I am the odd ball, the loner and the awkward one. I’m perfectly okay with that.

I’ve always had big dreams for my little boy but most importantly, I just wanted him to succeed at life. I prayed for him from the day he was born that he would become great and wonderful and every single moment that passes with him, my prayers have been answered.

You probably think I boast and brag on him too much. So what? What mother isn’t prideful of her children? But you have to understand the journey. Me and that kid have been through so much together. He saved my life.
Most of you know my story. I left home at the end of my junior year in high school, three months later, I got knocked up and I lived with a friend until three months after Nathaniel was born. With the help of my kids’ grandparents, I went on to graduate high school and begin life. I graduated high school on his first birthday. After graduation, I work any and every job I could to make sure I could support my kid. In fact, at one point, I was working three jobs at once. During the time, I somehow managed to end up at the Salvation Army, living in a homeless shelter with my 18 month old son. I won’t go into all the gory details but life was really hard. That led to me marrying my now-ex-husband.

I was alone when I gave birth to Nathaniel. No family, no friends, no one. It was just me and him. I was very scared and very alone. I remember that day very clearly. I was in labor and I called my parents to tell them, (another long story) only for them to turn me away. The next day, as I was holding him, I remember praying that God would have mercy and help me through this journey and that no matter what decisions I made, he would not punish my son for my mistakes. Children don’t ask to be brought into this world. They don’t deserve to suffer for our ignorance and poor choices. When I look at my son, I see greatness. I see a young man with a beautiful heart and soul. He is everything I am not and better. As broken as I was, it is a miracle and a blessing that I didn’t ruin that kid. But God answered my prayers. I look back over the last 17 years of his life and all I have is gratitude and love.
Nathaniel recently was accepted for Fall admission to Troy University in Troy. It was his first choice. He loves the drums and he wants to be a part of their marching band. He’s already begun making plans for his future. At 17, he’s in a far better place than I was. I didn’t even see a future yet. So last night, as I filling out one of his scholarship applications, I needed his GPA and ranking information from his guidance counselor. She emailed me and said he currently has a GPA of 3.7 and out of 122 students in his senior class, he ranks 11. That puts him in the top 10% of his class. The overwhelming amount of joy and pride I felt at that moment assured me that everything in the last 17 years was worth it. He did this.
Whew…

No matter what else I choose to do with the rest of my life, he is my greatest accomplishment.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

changes are coming

Four years ago, Trevor and Savanna came to live with us, to start a new life. One that we’d hoped would be fruitful and blessed. Our lives changed in every aspect over that four year period. We all grew in different ways. Some for the best and some, not so much. But overall, it was for the betterment of both of them and we saw great improvements over those four years. Last year, one simple mistake changed everything. July of last year during summer football camp, Trevor got caught with a pocket knife. He didn’t think anything of it because he always carries it, just like any other young man in Alabama. He didn’t think about it being a school function and honestly, who would? He had no intentions of harming anyone at all. Mind you, Trevor had come so very far in four years. He was making straight A’s, taking Honors classes, playing football and well on his way to making huge changes for his future. We could not have been more proud. The Autauga County School Board decided they need

life will go on...eventually

     I genuinely believed after having this major surgery, my quality of life would greatly improve. Don’t get me wrong-the surgery did relieve me of my headaches and for that, I am truly grateful. But it seems to have brought on another set of problems that I wasn’t prepared for. It has been frustrating, discouraging and most of all, very painful. My numerous doctors seem to believe that the surgery exacerbated a problem I began having before the surgery-arthritis in my hands. Now, it’s throughout my entire body and some days, it is hard to get out of bed, much less walk. It takes more strength than I knew I had. Pain meds and arthritis meds don’t seem to help much and some days are far worse than other. But I keep going, regardless because I have to. I pray daily for healing but I find myself asking why…why after going through such a traumatic event in my life, believing I was going to move onto something better, does this have to happen now? What am I supposed to be learning for th

tears

I'm an emotional kinda gal. I wear my heart on my sleeve. As tough as I try to be, I have more compassion than you could possibly imagine. I guess that's one of the many reasons I've wanted to become a nurse. So here it is, not even noon and I've probably cried or teared up at least 3-4 times. Why? I was listening to my iPod on the way home from picking up my kids from camp and a song came on that immediately sent my thoughts to Matt. I thought back to the first night we met and like a cheshire cat, my whole face lit up. My heart swelled until I thought it would burst in my chest, I got the warm fuzzies and then I started to cry. Not just tear up but CRY. Yeah. I'm a cry baby. It's the feeling that moves you to the most beautiful tears. Knowing that someone loves you more than themselves. That's hard to find. He can walk in a room and my whole world will stand still. That look he gives me ...butterflies, have mercy. When he wraps his arms around me, I