Skip to main content

perfect imperfection

When hiding isn’t enough…

I desperately try hiding from the world, especially when moments are too much to bare. This summer was no different.

People will walk out of your life at any given moment, including your own children. Not to abandon you but to move on to the next season of their lives. I have struggled with this a lot in my life. Some leave by choice, others leaves out of necessity. Some leave out of sheer ignorance. The latter has been my case recently.

My mother taught me to run. It’s how she copes with life. When shit hits the fan, run. So that is what I do. It’s not always the wise choice but it’s how I’ve learned to cope and it’s the only way I know how to protect my heart.

I told a friend yesterday that I used to say “I shouldn’t expect people to treat me the same way I treat them.” That, my friends is bullshit. I should. I know who I am, I know my value, I know what I bring to the table at every moment. I am the most giving person anyone could ever ask for and yes, I expect my friends, my family, to be willing to do the same for me. Other than my partner in crime, I only know one who is willing and does so on a daily basis. I shouldn’t have to lower my expectations because someone doesn’t feel it is necessary to put in the same amount of effort as I do. It has taken me years to get that, but it is a fact in my life and one I will not downplay anymore.

Every time I had an encounter with my mother, she always told me I expected too much from her or to not have expectations when it came to our relationship. Why? What should I expect from the woman who gave birth to me? To love me? To acknowledge my existence? To treat me like a decent human being? Why is that asking too much? What am I to expect from a woman who has never shown me an ounce of remorse or love for all the years that I can actually remember?

I dredge her up every time it gets close to my birthday and honestly, I hate it. It brings back emotions I desperately try to shove in a deep, dark corner. I’ll never get answers to the questions I seek and while I’ve accepted that, it doesn’t stop those feelings from resurfacing every now and again.

My stepson left us this summer and it literally broke my heart to pieces. I keep telling myself over and over that I did everything I possibly could to give him the life he so deserved and needed but it wasn’t enough. That echoes in my mind constantly because I can hear my own mother saying, “I did the best I could,” but did you really? I don't think she did. So I constantly question myself…did I really do everything I could to keep him here with us? To make him happy? To give him everything he ever needed? I guess not.

And so, I ran and I hid from the world. I internalized the whole ordeal. I questioned myself daily. I doubted myself in every step. I asked myself over and over again, what could I have done differently to make him want to stay? And then I took that and turned it into every relationship I’ve had in my life. All the people who have walked away or decided I just wasn’t worth fighting for. My parents, my ex, my brother, friends…what about me is so terrible that they just decided they didn’t need me in their life anymore? I just wasn’t worth their time or affection? What is wrong with me?

I love deeply and passionately. I care too much. I have a bad temper. I trust too easily. I try too hard. I am quick to put my walls up. I forgive easily and quickly. I am pushy. I am stubborn. I am impatient. I push myself too much. I love others far more than I love myself. I talk too much. I don’t talk enough. I like solitude. I feel too much. I cry too much. I laugh too much. I am obsessive about issues I care about. I am too bold. I am not passive at all. And sometimes, I just want to be left alone.

But this is me. This is who I am, flawed and all. And this is why I love me so much. I love who I am and I will not change for anyone. I cannot. It has taken me all of my life to find who I am, what I am and what I love most in life and every day that changes. I love life. I love my life and everything about it. And I will not settle anymore; I refuse. I will not compromise who I am so that someone will love me just enough to tolerate me. I won’t.


I am my perfect imperfection. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

life will go on...eventually

     I genuinely believed after having this major surgery, my quality of life would greatly improve. Don’t get me wrong-the surgery did relieve me of my headaches and for that, I am truly grateful. But it seems to have brought on another set of problems that I wasn’t prepared for. It has been frustrating, discouraging and most of all, very painful. My numerous doctors seem to believe that the surgery exacerbated a problem I began having before the surgery-arthritis in my hands. Now, it’s throughout my entire body and some days, it is hard to get out of bed, much less walk. It takes more strength than I knew I had. Pain meds and arthritis meds don’t seem to help much and some days are far worse than other. But I keep going, regardless because I have to. I pray daily for healing but I find myself asking why…why after going through such a traumatic event in my life, believing I was going to move onto something better, does this have to happen now? What am I supposed to be learning for th

changes are coming

Four years ago, Trevor and Savanna came to live with us, to start a new life. One that we’d hoped would be fruitful and blessed. Our lives changed in every aspect over that four year period. We all grew in different ways. Some for the best and some, not so much. But overall, it was for the betterment of both of them and we saw great improvements over those four years. Last year, one simple mistake changed everything. July of last year during summer football camp, Trevor got caught with a pocket knife. He didn’t think anything of it because he always carries it, just like any other young man in Alabama. He didn’t think about it being a school function and honestly, who would? He had no intentions of harming anyone at all. Mind you, Trevor had come so very far in four years. He was making straight A’s, taking Honors classes, playing football and well on his way to making huge changes for his future. We could not have been more proud. The Autauga County School Board decided they need

tears

I'm an emotional kinda gal. I wear my heart on my sleeve. As tough as I try to be, I have more compassion than you could possibly imagine. I guess that's one of the many reasons I've wanted to become a nurse. So here it is, not even noon and I've probably cried or teared up at least 3-4 times. Why? I was listening to my iPod on the way home from picking up my kids from camp and a song came on that immediately sent my thoughts to Matt. I thought back to the first night we met and like a cheshire cat, my whole face lit up. My heart swelled until I thought it would burst in my chest, I got the warm fuzzies and then I started to cry. Not just tear up but CRY. Yeah. I'm a cry baby. It's the feeling that moves you to the most beautiful tears. Knowing that someone loves you more than themselves. That's hard to find. He can walk in a room and my whole world will stand still. That look he gives me ...butterflies, have mercy. When he wraps his arms around me, I