Skip to main content

fat shannon

"Fat disgusting pig..."

"Oh my God how did you let yourself get like that?!"

"If I could just have surgery, maybe they would love me more..."

"I wish I were still that skinny."

Horrible, mean and hateful words, aren't they? Would you say something like that to any overweight person you came across? Do those thoughts go through your head when you see someone so obese, it just makes you sick? Would you even say that to your own child? No, you say?

Then why would you say that to yourself? Because guess what? People do it every day and unfortunately, I am one of those.

Not long ago, I came across an article discussing this very same thing. I would never, in a million years, on my worst day, say something like that to any individual. So then why would I say something like that about myself? Honestly, I don't have an answer. I just do. I don't like what I see in the mirror most days and for whatever reason, I lost the motivation to do something about it. So the viscous cycle continues.

My one constant thought lately is, "tomorrow, I'm going to get up and exercise, I swear" but I'm so tired that I'm lucky to get up at 5:30 on my normal schedule. By the time I get home, cook dinner, feed four kids, go over homework, get all four bathed and in bed, I am too tired to hold my head up, let alone get on an elliptical. Again, viscous cycle. See, I know if I exercise, I will get more energy. But I'm too tired to exercise, so....you see where this is going? Maybe an excuse to you, but I assure you, it is not easy. I already wake up every morning at 5:30 am to get a husband and four kids off to work and school. I'm in the shower by 6, ushering kiddos out the door, making hubby lunch, making coffee and getting myself ready before I am on the road at 7am. I figured if I got up 15 mins earlier, it would allow me SOME time to hop on the elliptical or go for an early walk but I can barely manage to roll over to hit the snooze button. I am tired all the time.

Believe it or not, we eat pretty decent during the week. No fancy diets. Meat, veggies, occasional starch but not often. We try to leave some of those out of dinner. Sweets are not allowed during the week, only on weekends. That was a recent change we made because this girl has a horrible sweet tooth and the kids began to think we got dessert every night of the week. That is not a habit I want to start.

I am taking these slow baby steps into the direction of loving me just a little bit more...but the whole self image thing is tough. For anyone who has struggled with low self esteem, then you get it. It doesn't change overnight. This part is my biggest struggle-my body image and my weight. I want to be comfortable in my own skin. I guess most people take these kinds of things for granted or the thoughts never crossed their mind. It truly is a constant struggle and sometimes all-consuming. This is not how I want to spend the rest of my life. It is not. I would rather think of sandy beaches, beautiful sunsets and cherish memories and moments with my family. Then a commercial comes on with a skinny hot chick and here we go! "Gosh I wish I looked like her" or "I wonder if my husband would love me more if I looked like her". Yep. Spend a day in my head...it is scary in there.

So what's a girl to do? Last time I tried to lose weight, I lost it, had to starve myself and now I have just about gained it all back. I considered weight loss surgery but my insurance denied my claim three times. I haven't been fat long enough is basically what they said. Excuse me, what?! I lost weight once and they figure if I did it before, I can do it again. I've seen all the people who do Fitness Boot Camp, Crossfit and what not. They go on these fancy diets of twigs and berries and no dairy. No. I refuse. They look miserable to me. I love food, I want to enjoy what I eat and within reasonable cost.

So my only choice is this-get up a few minutes earlier in the morning and exercise or keep fighting the constant self image demons in my head. No, I'm not crazy. But I also know that this time, I am not alone in this struggle.

"I call myself Fat Shannon...so twig bitches like you don't do it behind my back".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

changes are coming

Four years ago, Trevor and Savanna came to live with us, to start a new life. One that we’d hoped would be fruitful and blessed. Our lives changed in every aspect over that four year period. We all grew in different ways. Some for the best and some, not so much. But overall, it was for the betterment of both of them and we saw great improvements over those four years. Last year, one simple mistake changed everything. July of last year during summer football camp, Trevor got caught with a pocket knife. He didn’t think anything of it because he always carries it, just like any other young man in Alabama. He didn’t think about it being a school function and honestly, who would? He had no intentions of harming anyone at all. Mind you, Trevor had come so very far in four years. He was making straight A’s, taking Honors classes, playing football and well on his way to making huge changes for his future. We could not have been more proud. The Autauga County School Board decided they need

life will go on...eventually

     I genuinely believed after having this major surgery, my quality of life would greatly improve. Don’t get me wrong-the surgery did relieve me of my headaches and for that, I am truly grateful. But it seems to have brought on another set of problems that I wasn’t prepared for. It has been frustrating, discouraging and most of all, very painful. My numerous doctors seem to believe that the surgery exacerbated a problem I began having before the surgery-arthritis in my hands. Now, it’s throughout my entire body and some days, it is hard to get out of bed, much less walk. It takes more strength than I knew I had. Pain meds and arthritis meds don’t seem to help much and some days are far worse than other. But I keep going, regardless because I have to. I pray daily for healing but I find myself asking why…why after going through such a traumatic event in my life, believing I was going to move onto something better, does this have to happen now? What am I supposed to be learning for th

tears

I'm an emotional kinda gal. I wear my heart on my sleeve. As tough as I try to be, I have more compassion than you could possibly imagine. I guess that's one of the many reasons I've wanted to become a nurse. So here it is, not even noon and I've probably cried or teared up at least 3-4 times. Why? I was listening to my iPod on the way home from picking up my kids from camp and a song came on that immediately sent my thoughts to Matt. I thought back to the first night we met and like a cheshire cat, my whole face lit up. My heart swelled until I thought it would burst in my chest, I got the warm fuzzies and then I started to cry. Not just tear up but CRY. Yeah. I'm a cry baby. It's the feeling that moves you to the most beautiful tears. Knowing that someone loves you more than themselves. That's hard to find. He can walk in a room and my whole world will stand still. That look he gives me ...butterflies, have mercy. When he wraps his arms around me, I